With the recent impact we are seeing from Storm Christoph, we offer 5 simple tips of things you can do should floods be expected within your area.
Floods are currently expected across a large area of the country; therefore, we have put 5 simple tips together for you to follow should floods be expected in your area.
- Keep up to date with the latest forecast/warnings; check local radio, news and flood websites, such as https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/warnings?location.
It is also important for us to look out for others, especially during these times; are there any neighbours whom maybe vulnerable? Can you provide any assistance, safely?
- Move as many things as possible, including valuables and sentimental items, to higher ground or out of the property. If items are unable to be moved, consider placing something under them to elevate them out of harm’s way.
Don’t forget to move vehicles to safety as well. Outdoors can be easy to forget but be sure to consider outside your property too, moving anything that is not fixed down to a safer location.
- If available and possible, protect your premises by using flood protection such as airbrick covers or sandbags etc.
- Turn off utilities (gas, electricity and water) should you find that flood water is going to enter your property, if it’s safe to do so; this will minimise risk of contamination or fire.
- Keep important documents, such as insurance documents, in a safe place and if necessary, in something waterproof to avoid them becoming damaged.
In the event your property suffers damage from flooding, contact your broker and landlord at the earliest opportunity. Your broker will be able to offer advice on how to minimise the damage and discuss remedial action with you, when it is safe to do so.
If you are a McClarrons client and need to make a claim for your property, please email email@example.com. If you have any concerns or questions related to flooding and your cover, please contact your Account Executive or Account Handler directly.